Subscribe

Saturday, April 11, 2015

USRH #1 and being sprayed by a skunk!


I was running a day late and shuttle guy Sam Duke didn't get me close till 1030...I chose the 1 mile backtrack to Springer vs  the 8 mile approach.
That was about the only clear blue during 1st 2 days. I've reached my goal on each but already see why sundown is hikers midnight. It's now 2am on night 2, I just woke up since crashing at about 8.
Last night was trippy. There are shelters that hold about 8-12 the 1st two I've seen have a loft oin the 3 sided off the ground structure. These areas are where most congregate for the night. Most in tents. All guys in the shelter snoring, talking, farting, snoring and this am smoking the Ganga together as they bond. 
So anyway I walk in last night literally the last of about 70 peeps lfeelin like the baby rhino in Jumangi.
I picked a decent spot for tent and got busy. There wasn't enough water to cook so I ate a granola bar and settled in. Started out with earplugs cuz of all the noise. Couldn't sleep from soreness, hunger and no bed. Watched some Superman, Man of Steel, back to earplugs and rollin around. The plugs went in and came out several times after learning I had parked my tent smack dab in the middle of USRH 1. Rodent Highway 1. They were streaming around my tent all night. I kept thinking of the 20 something kid about 50 ft away who just had a fly for a tent, no walls! Yikes! 
Rolling around, tossing n yea yea at around 2am I pull the plugs thinking I heard something substantial outside the tent. As I sit up suddenly I hear a loud hissing spraying sound like a 1960s aerosol hair spray can that my sisters used to blow up our furnace growing up  (see A Cjristmas Story, that's my dear ole dad).
Anyway, I freak and grab my sleeping bag to cover my face and brace for the stench of a skunk! Only to learn, somehow the twist valve cap of my inflated sleeping pad had opened spewing my mattress air. Not a wink for another hour,
Then come the winds then the rain. I finally fell asleep and awoke at 840 dull.  Pouring. All but 3 people in shelter, gone. Food bag on the ground. It's waterproof.
I put my rain gear on, grabbed bag, made coffee and slowly started packing inside tent. As I was about done, the rain stopped for about 45 just long enough to pack tent and cover pack. 8 miles later here I am. Gotta head back to lala land now. Oh and I was almost last to shelter tonight but like the chance to pick a spot slightly removed. Coyotes off in distance, no worries, no USRH1, no rain.
This was the devo I started day 2 with and without knowing grabbed the pic as you see it, before reading. If able read to the last line of the devo 

In case it doesn't expand or your like Lauren and just read the line above the page number... It reads "Hold my hand in childlike trust, and the way before you will open up step by step." Too much. It's 3:02. Ni ni

5 comments:

  1. You look a little worried Jim. I'm not, God watches over Jim Buker!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it! So glad that it was not a skunk. That smell may have stayed with you the whole trip. Excited that you're blogging so we can follow along with you... Happy trails!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Jim, Winston here - looks like you're doing great out there. Not sure if you remember me, but I met you briefly while you just finished descending The Priest. I had just finished a run up Three Ridges. I hope you had a nice lunch by the Tye River before your ascent up Three Ridges. I've been enjoying your blog. I went back up there to do another training run on the Three Ridges/Mau-Har Loop. I didn't see that yellow jacket hole the day I met you, but this past weekend, I was up there and stopped at the note that warned of the yellow jackets. They were out in full force, and because of the note you evidently left behind (in both directions AND at the nest I might add!), I was able to get by them unscathed. That was very cool of you to leave those notes behind to help other folks out. Safe travels and blessings to you.

    ReplyDelete