Subscribe

Wednesday, April 8, 2015

I'm a comin home momma!

The day started out with a lil tour of Windsor Ct trying to find that elusive postage stamp we know as Bradley Intl. That was all good as I enjoyed learning a lot about my son in law's FEMA job and finishing the awesome coffee Marissa sent me with. Flew out on time at 6am arriving directly in Atlanta at 830.
From Atlanta one must travel 80 miles NW via Gainesville. That's by Greyhound which to my disappointment wasn't going to depart till 430pm. I don't think what the ticket lady saw next could be described as a bright and shiny Jesus face after she sold me a non refundable ticket and told me the time of departure.
I asked prof Google for REI (outfitters) then proceeded to get an edumacation on two things, the Atlanta train system and the fact that my 46lb waterless pack was not fitting well at all yall and making my hands swell to numbness and my back was tensing up like a bulls butt in fly season. That's almost a verbatim dear ole dadism.
Yes I did do some training hikes and with the pack but not fully loaded.
By the time I reached REI I knew it wasn't just a second pair of shorts I was gonna need. The 430 departure ended up being a God sent blessing. 
I walked in and within minutes found myself getting undivided expert attention for almost 2 solid hours from THE MAN Patrick. Patrick's 2 hobbies are backpacking and rock climbing, his gift is service orientation.
He quickly showed me the pack lent to me by a good friend did not and would not adjust to fit my condition: small torso.
I'm now sporting a girls pack with men's shoulder straps and men's waist belt. I'm not confused.
Patrick also went thru my entire pack and removed about 6 lbs of material. The pack and 6lbs are now heading North as REI was two blocks from Post Office. In between was Zoe's Kitchen for Meditaranean and copious amounts of water on this 84' sun drenched day.
Back to REI to repackage the blivet (10lbs of shinola in a 5lb bag).
From there to the bus terminal. Standing in a very crowded terminal I'm quite sure I stuck out like a white sore thumb with a 40lb red tumor strapped to his back.
But thank God for Patrick as I can feel my hands and can now speak somewhat intelligently about fitting a backpack, or at least know where to point.
It's 5pm, Gainseville by 630 then hopefully a shuttle toward Springer Mtn.
There's 2 approaches to that gateway to the AT. One way is an 8mile hike thru Amicalola Falls State Park or traveling one mile North of trail, backtracking a mile then starting from there. Which way do you think most choose, which way would you choose, which way will I choose?
Aren't you just covered with goosebumps wondering, waiting, wide eyed and all impatient? Haha u b havin to wait!

4 comments:

  1. If its moving, its not a stick

    ReplyDelete
  2. A girlie backpack for that girlish figure. Haha!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. white sore thumb with a 40lb red tumor ....so stinkin' funny!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is great dad! Looking forward to more humorous and exciting entries!

    ReplyDelete