Subscribe

Wednesday, September 30, 2015

Cow Hampshire

Back in my dad's day they called it Cow Hampshire as apparently at one time there were more cows than people in New Hampshire. All I know is big huge hills. The Whites kicked my butt "8 ways to Sunday".
In the reading I did a year ago, one book said; when a single season NoBo thru hiker reaches the Whites, they have spent only 20% of the energy needed to finish. Until now I've questioned that statement.
I have aches and pains not felt since GA and NC. The daily mileage is back down to 10 but indeed the views are spectacular:
Btw the word indeed is a man's word. Think about it. If you're one of the women reading this blog
Go ahead and say the word.....indeed. Feels awkward doesn't it? You can use certainly, absolutely, etc. Whenever a guy uses the word indeed, think of him like this:
Speaking of words, the hike and audio audible have given me a great opportunity to further my way along a list I started years ago. The 100 books everyone should read before they die. A couple things about said list; there are a hundred such lists with wide variations yet many books in common. Unfortunately the Bible rarely appears on the list, ironic as it is alive and active not to mention the Worlds best seller for generations. Did you know the first US Congress, the same which wrote of government and religion, actually used tax dollars to print and distribute the Bible as a school primer? So back to the list(s) of 100. Another facet of the list is not to finish so as to prolong ur life, get it? Well there are several books common to most lists regardless of variation and here's how I felt when finally finishing one such most commonly listed:
If you're interested in reading the most verbose(wordiest), blue bloodiest, soap opera yet perfectly well titled books or you're expecting an interview with Loyds of London, try Jane Austin's Pride and Prejudice. In Ct I came across a retired English teacher who loved the book then laughed admittedly when I said "of course, it's filled with gossiping women".
Gee, this post has taken on a somewhat gendered tone, let's go back to the scenery.
The Whites remind me of PA in some way as there's no small amount of rocks.
Both on and off the trail:
But these rocks are different, they tend to be more level, and stickier though just as hard.
Some rock trails lead up to:
Places like Mt Washington;
On a sunny day no less;
That for a little while got a bit uglier:
Then prettier again:
Then about 2 hours and just 4 miles later I was given a sign saying "stop here".
"Down here at this very place, the Madison Hut"
Ok I did, before crawling up and down that nasty beast behind it. The night before, I tented 4000 ft up to watch the blood moon. This was the moon at 7ish
Unfortunately this camera did not capture the lunar eclipse that looked like a natural orange hanging in the sky at 10:30pm.
Surprised (not) by waking the next morning, to find a morning after what many said would have been the world's end, I was able to capture a great sunrise:
Then at the day's end a great sunset:

2 comments:

  1. It's nice to pretend Sofia is reading your blog....it's fun to pretend. Congratulations on summiting Mt. Washington!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. Thanks for sharing pictures of that fabulous bow. And, huh... I just brought up " The Master Weaver " in group this morning. God is Good.

    ReplyDelete