Subscribe

Thursday, June 11, 2015

Class of 2015

The AT supposedley noticed a surge in hikers this year because of the movie that came out last year with Reese Witherspoon called Wild. In August of this year Bill Bryson's book 
Comes out in movie form with Robt Redford and Nick Nolte. It's a very popular book. Except for the frequent forays into evolution it was very entertaining and I'm sure Nolte will play an excellent Katz. The movie is expected to double the AT population next year which will be great for businesses but in my opinion be awful for those on the trail here to enjoy the peace and place.
Another reason I'm glad to be a part of 2015:
I met Scott Jurek! A few years ago when I was more into running Brian D and I read a very popular book titled Born To Run which highlighted a tribe of ultra distance runners in Mexico who ran either barefoot or on sandals for up to 150 miles at a time. The book also made these 
shoes very popular. The concept makes sense, run more on the ball of your foot vs striking the heel and sending a shock up to ur knee, hip and lower back. Running more on the ball strengthens the arch, calf, knee etc. 
Scott wrote the book! This year he is attempting to complete the AT in 42 days! 50 miles a day. He was very friendly stopping to shake hands and chat a bit. Go for it Scott!
What you see are sunglasses and earbuds. What I see are bug shields and bug plugs. Even on sunny days I'm only in it roughly 53.256% to 73.4521% of the time as the trail is mostly shaded. So think of a bug, with wings, it's body is 90% mouth with teeth, 5% body, 2.5% wings, 2.5% legs. The bug is flying at about 45 mph. It is of course heading straight for your eyeball. 
Yeaaaahhhh, that's what I'm talkin about. These lil babies littering the trail, groaning and writhing in pain with their teeth or spear shaped noses broken off at the nerve as they breathe their last breath wondering what happened to the nice soft wet eyeball of the other hiker. Or why they can't get past that stupid plastic thingy to the sweet Sparky ear wax nectar.
Do you know what the last thing is that goes thru a bugs mind when it hits your windshield or my shades is???
When I was growing up, Readers Digest would offer $50 if you found a mistake in their publication. Whether on the giving or receiving end my D.O.D.'s reward was a kiss and a hug. Which was why I kept reading. Anyway, only Lauren noticed that in a recent post I forgot to add the pic of the shelter I wrote about. 
Sweetheart can you guess which reward is coming your way? Hint: I hope to deliver such in person during a very brief stay (1or2 day) near the beginning of August when, good Lord willin and the creek don't rise, I hit the Berkshires and spend a night in Huntington bothering all my buds.
A creek.
Another creek.
Dismal Falls Virginia.
No way man?!?!
All you can eat Chinese for a total of $8.37?!?!
Can you say weight gain and profit loss?!
Sayonara!!!!
I always feel uncomfy when folks switch from speaking English with a smile to any other language without while looking at me.
Awwwww dat too bad Sparky have tapeworm appetite.
The world gets incredibly smaller in an upcoming post, yall can ballee dat.
Ni ni
Xoxo















2 comments: